Century paper letters and mail, unfortunately, takes forever. How early it was beautiful and romantic. Lovers write short messages and attach them to the foot pigeon, which then flew huge distances in all weather conditions to deliver a letter. In business letters and letters of national importance it had its interesting features, beautiful solid printing, which helped to keep important information secret. And no matter how sad, but today we in the 21st century in most cases, use email, because he has many advantages.
To start with some tips on how to learn how to write an email correctly:
- Try to learn from the example, t. E. Pay attention to the design, which uses your foreign interlocutor by mail.
- If you have a foreign friend, or a friend who knows English much better than you, ask him to comment on your letter.
- In business letters, there are certain cliches and keyword phrases that make up the structure of the letter. About this kind of letters you can learn here from the article «Business writing in English.»
With regard to the general guidelines:
- The most important thing to choose the right style of writing depending on the destination, it will determine the structure and writing, and vocabulary.
- Always write your subject line in the corresponding row (a subject line), so the recipient will be easier to find it, especially if it’s a business letter.
- Brevity is the soul of wit. Do not build too complex sentences, especially if your English is not perfect. It is better to digest the information, which is presented clearly and concisely.
- If you write a business letter to a colleague, friend foreigner, be careful with jokes. What’s funny in our culture, is not always fun to another, your joke may just do not understand.
- If you’re in a bad mood, and you need to write great, but not too urgent letter, better to postpone it for a while.
- Always re-read the letter before leaving because of errors except there may be a simple clerical errors, for which it will be very embarrassing.
Let’s compare the two letters:
Name / Title Business / Organization
City, State Zip Code
Your company has been highly recommended to us by the Thailler Company in Hamburg, Germany. We are a small company specializing in computer equipment and we have received many inquiries from our customers for some parts that we do not have among our goods. We want to expand our range of products and services and we would like you to send us your latest sales catalogue with prices. Please, also include information about the minimum quantity for a trial order.
We look forward to hearing from you.
A letter to a friend, informal form:
Subject: Thx for yr msg
Re your msg left on my ans machine — yes, I’m free 4 dinner on Wed next wk. Btw, good news about yr interview. Hv 2 work now. CU, Juliya.
If you write this letter without abbreviations:
Subject: Thanks for your message.
Re your message on my answer machine — yes, I am free for dinner on Wednesday next week. By the way, good news about your interview. I have to work now. See you, Juliya.
According to the content, vocabulary, the form of letters and abbreviations two letters differ significantly and visibly. I think that in real life you do not confuse these two styles and easily cope with the task.
I suggest you go a little test: