For centuries (since the dawn of time) a person is looking for ways to get in a short time to the right place, and comes up with different types of transport. Finally, there is personal chariot — the car! But it requires fuel (fuel). In pursuit of the fuel for the car humanity is destroying the world.
We offer watch a video and to perform the task.
- Match the words and phrases in the box with their meaning:
1 Since the dawn of time a A great enthusiasm or liking for something / a romantic relationship 2 Catapult b A material (such as coal, oil, or gas) that is burned to produce heat or power 3 Barrow c Since the beginning of time 4 Personal chariot d A Y-shaped implement used for shooting small stones, etc 5 Plentiful e A cart with two wheels that is pushed or pulled 6 To run out f Present in large amounts 7 Inaccurate g To exhaust (a supply of something) or (of a supply) to become exhausted 8 Solar h Of or relating to the sun 9 Brief i Inexact 10 Success j Short in duration 11 To use up k (Here) Another phrase for «the car» 12 Fuel l To consume, to use completely 13 Love affair m The correct or desired result of an attempt
- Decide whether the statements are true (T) or false (F):
- Since the dawn of time people have been going from A to B. They always try to do it slower.
- Men’s personal chariot is the barrow.
- At first fuel was very expensive.
- Driving was fun.
- The petrol never ran out.
- People tried to drive rocket cars.
- When people used up all the gas, they went solar, organic, nuclear etc.
- Water tuned out to be rather effective.
- When everything was used up, people gave up.
- At last people invented the car that ran on rocks.
- Complete the sentences with the word from the box:
1 Fun a Fuel was cheap and ___. 2 Affair b He enjoyed driving. It was ___. 3 On c The petrol went ___. 4 Out d We used ___ all the gas. 5 Plentiful e There was no fuel ___. 6 Up f The love ___ did not end. 7 Left g The car ran ___ gas.
- Translate the sentences using the words and phrases from Ex. 1:
- From time immemorial, people try to find a way to move faster.
- First, the fuel was abundant, but then ran out.
- It will be inaccurate to say that their romance was over.
- People use up all the fuel.