At the dawn of the centuries life was spent amid the chaos (chaos) and murder (murder). It was a bloody battle for survival (A bloody fight for survival). All were hungry and it was a meal (Everyone was hungry and everything was food). Including us (Including us). Now we hunt in supermarkets and suburban shopping centers (Nowadays we hunt in supermarkets and out-of-town malls), and scientists are constantly modified food, to make it better, more convenient and attractive. But how useful it (healthy) for a person?
Dr. Shelley was very passionate about creating smart food (smart food), which is easy to grow (easy to grow), she is going to (self-picking), she delivered (self-deliverin g) and happy to eat her (happy to be eaten) . The inventor does not take into account that smart eating instinct for survival (survival instinct). People were taken aback (People were taken by surprise) …
We offer a job to the video about how scientists are trying to outsmart nature (outwit the nature) and what came of it. Exercise №1 and №2 are executed to view video. Setting №5 designed to work in the classroom, because it suggests drawing up and play on the dialogues.
- What is your attitude to genetically modified food? Can you suggest any advantages and disadvantages?
- Match the words and their definitions:
1 Chaos (n) a Confusion and fear, usually caused by violent behavior or by some sudden shocking event 2 Murder (n) b A person who invents 3 Mayhem (n) c Witty and intelligent 4 Fight (n) d Complete disorder; utter confusion 5 Survival (n) e Generous or ample supplies of wealth, produce, or resources 6 Hunt (v) f To defeat smb / smth or gain an advantage over them by doing smth clever 7 Mall (n) g Killing of one human being by another 8 Inventor (n) h A struggle against smth / smb using physical force 9 Smart (adj) i Shopping center 10 Plenty (n) j To destroy or remove smb / smth completely 11 Outwit (v) k To seek out and kill or capture (eg wild animals) for food 12 To wipe out l To receive money, property, etc. from smb when they die 13 Inherit (v) m The state of continuing to live or exist, often in spite of difficulty or danger
- Put the statements in the correct order:
- Pets disappeared.
- People hunt for food in malls.
- Smart food was invented.
- There was absolute mayhem in ancient times.
- Compost and fruit flies inherited the earth.
- Smart vegetables wiped out fruit.
- Food ruled the world.
- People disappeared.
- Dr. Shelly invented a chicken-pig.
- Change the words in bolt into their synonyms from the list:
wiped out, smart, fight, malls, outwit
- In the beginning life was a bloody battle for survival.
- Nowadays people buy things in out-of-town shopping centres.
- He is very intelligent.
- Genetically engineered food is an attempt to outsmart the nature.
- Whole villages were destroyed by the earthquake.
- Work in pairs. You are a journalist, your partner is Dr. Shelly. Roleplay an interview. Ask Dr. Shelly’s about her previous inventions and her future plans — smart food. Try to predict the result of her invention. Make use of the following words and phrases:
- Chicken-pig — svinotsyplenok.
- Smart food — intelligent eating.
- Easy to grow — easy to grow.
- Self-picking — which is itself going.
- Self-delivering — which itself is delivered.
- Happy to be eaten — happy to eat her.
- The age of plenty — the era of abundance.
- To outwit the nature — outwit nature.
- Survival instinct — the instinct of survival.
- To wipe smth out — to destroy.
- To rule the world — rule the world.
- To be taken by surprise — catch / caught unawares.
- To take its course — to take her, take its course.
- Compost — compost.
- Fruit fly — fruit fly.
- To inherit the earth — to inherit the earth.