The vocabulary of any language changes almost daily. Development of the industry or the creative sphere of vocabulary of a language adds new concepts. Some of the words pass in the category of archaisms (obsolete words) and gradually fell out of use altogether. Neologisms, ie new words are formed in different ways. Theme: «Word formation» put to our website in a separate section.
The methods of word formation in English
Linguists have identified a number of ways of word formation in English.
Conversion — the most common way of word formation, in which a word is transferred from one part of speech to another without the use of affixes and prefixes, that is, without changing the structure of the word (a hand — hand, to hand — deliver).
Affixation — is the formation of new words with prefixes and suffixes:
- When the suffix — ion nouns are formed from the stem of the verb: (preparation — preparation, attention — attention).
- — Al, — ful, — y — suffixes, which are formed using adjectives: (medical — Medical, beautiful — beautiful, sunny — solar).
- When the suffix — ly formed adverbs: (usually — usually).
- When the suffix — ing from the base form of the verb nouns: (swimming — swimming).
- Negative prefix — un may have adjectives and verbs: (unlucky — bad, unmake — destroy).
Compression — a way of word in the English language, thanks to which there are difficult words. Thus there is a reduction in components of combinations (a road test — to roadtest). The words formed in this way — a frequent phenomenon in modern English.
Word formation in the English language is not without compounding. This method of formation of compound words by combining the fundamentals of word (world-famous — the world famous, dark-brown — dark brown).
Abbreviatcija — the formation of new words by reducing (ad — advertisement — classified).
Word formation in the English language is not the only way to recharge your vocabulary. New words in the language as there due to borrowings from other languages.