There are many types of humor: parody (parody), the irony (irony), satire (satire), anecdote (joke), a pun (wordplay or pun). Humor can be represented as a pantomime (pantomime), sitcom (sitcom), sketches (sketch) or Opera (opera). But separately I would like to highlight the following format humor, Stand-up comedy (not to be confused with the Comedy Club). Comedians (comedians) perform before a live audience with the author’s monologues (routine), short jokes (one-liners) and sketches (sketches) on various topics. But aerobatics — improvisation with the audience and the ability to give an adequate response to Heckler, they also hecklers, they are also the audience, interrupting speech comic questions and comments.
High-quality stand-up is an art — because a good comedian, not only the people rejoice, but also raises questions over the ostrosotsialnymi issues. And how many great comedians gave us a stand-up! Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Bill Murray, Woody Allen — and this is only the beginning of the list.
World famous for its variety of stand-up. Be sure to find a comedian whose jokes will delight you, and you exclaim: «Why, it’s me!» Of course, not all are equally good comedians. I would like to highlight a few, their statements can be used in learning English.
I will not tell you about these stand-gurus like George Carlin (George Carlin) and Louis the C Kay (Louis CK). Focusing on not well-known but no less worthy of attention, comedian.
- Awkward and unsure of himself, but very cute Birbigliya Mike (Mike Birbiglia). Talking about their failures and amusing incidents from the life he just make you smile.
I was on the subway the other day, and the guy next to me was crying over a book. He was actually crying. So, I leaned over and said «You do not know how to read, either?»
Once I went to the subway, and the guy sitting next to me, crying over a book. He’s really crying. I leaned over to him and asked: «You, too, can not read, huh?»
- Very good comedian — Briton Ricky Gervaise (Ricky Gervais).
Where there’s a will, there’s a relative.
Where’s the will, there rodstvennichek.
- For those who want to get acquainted with an Irish accent has a way of acting in a gloomy misanthrope Dylan Moran (Dylan Moran).
I can not swim. I can not drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?
I can not swim. Led I do not know how. I was going to learn to drive, but then I thought, what if I fall into the lake?
- The next issue of our «program» will be Demetri Martin (Demetri Martin) — a non-standard stand-up comedian, using musical instruments and other props in their performances.
It is illegal to yell «fire» in a crowded theater. If there is a fire, yell something else instead, like «Flames!» Or «Smoke maker!» Or «Bad hot!»
The law prohibits yelling «fire» in a crowded place. If a fire breaks out, shout something else, such as «flame» or «source of smoke!» Or «It’s hot!»
- I have to mention Geffigana Jim (Jim Gaffigan) — good-natured father of many children of the family, often talks about his children, laziness and the love of food.
It is amazing how email has changed our lives. You get a handwritten letter in the mail today and think «What the? … Has someone been kidnapped?»
Surprisingly, as email has changed our lives. You get a handwritten letter in the mail today, and think, «What the …? Someone stole? »
- British Jimmy Carr (Jimmy Carr) is very fond of black humor, puns and skillfully cope with hecklers.
When you eat a lot of spicy food, you can lose your taste. When I was in India last summer, I was listening to a lot of Michael Bolton.
If you have a lot of spicy food, you can lose the taste. When I was in India last summer, I often listened to a song by Michael Bolton.
- Bill Cosby (Bill Cosby) — one of the comedians, who has spearheaded the stand-up. This is one of the few black comedian who jokes about race. Another feature of his speeches — about bad habits Bill says exclusively reprehensible tone.
I recently turned fifty, which is young for a tree, midlife for an elephant, and ancient for a quarter miler, whose son now says, «Dad, I just can not run the quarter with you anymore unless I bring something to read. »
I recently turned 50, is considered a young age for a tree, for an average of an elephant, but it was for the old distance runner in the quarter mile, whose son now says, «Dad, I’m going to run with you only if you’ll take something it read. »
- In third place is the funny guy Indo-American by the name of Aziz Ansari (Aziz Ansari) with a little fantasy on the theme «If the marriage did not exist, would have looked like a guy offer to spend the rest of life together.» The joke is taken from the show «Buried alive», which was recognized as one of the best stand-up performances of 2013.
Useful phrases An arrangement Accommodation A doll Puppet A ring Ring A priest The priest Tiny Wee To get married Marry, marry To hang out Hanging out, having fun To eat a slice Eat a piece To keep doing Continue to do something To swear to God Swear to God Tax purposes On the basis of the purposes of taxation
- Second place on the right goes to Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen DeGeneres), she is one of the worthiest of women in stand-up. Interesting argument from the show «The beginning» that thinks the fly, looking in the mirror.
Useful phrases A good listener Able to listen A fly Mucha A mirror Mirror A newsletter Information bulletin To be attracted to Being indifferent to To look familiar Sound familiar To roll up Furl To stay still Do not move Are you mocking me? Are you kidding? What’s wrong with us? What’s the matter with us? What is wrong with us?
- Jerry Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfeld) — one of the best comedians of our time, the author of «observational comedy» (discussions about everyday life, widely understood). Below is an example of such a stand-up (from the speech «I’m telling you for the last time»), in which Jerry jokes about supermarkets, seedless watermelon and milk.
Useful phrases An aisle Several A race against the clock with the expiration date Race against the clock with a shelf life A freaky thing The scary thing Easily accessible exit Easily accessible exit Food is so complicated as an adult Food is such a complex thing when you’re an adult Gene splicing Compound various genes In the vicinity About No way out Desperate situations The definite exact day The exact day The protein, the carbs, the fat content Proteins, carbohydrates, fat To be impressed with Impressive something To break down Violate, worsen To devote oneself to Dedicate yourself To devote money to the studies Giving money for research To fake Pretend to imitate To find challenging Finding it difficult to To get back to normal life To return to normal life To get something in some flavor Get something (product) with some taste To hack way through Pave the way To hold up to the light Keep light To roll down Roll, roll To scare the hell out of somebody Scare the hell out To take a chance Take a chance To tip off Warn inform To try to get out of Trying to get out of To work on AIDS, cancer, heart disease Working on the problem of AIDS, cancer, heart failure Way in the back At the end
Such here it is — a great and mighty world of stand-up. You may not be the first time be able to recognize and appreciate the joke. Maybe not even the third. But that’s not a reason to give up, is not it?