So you want to learn a foreign language, and only you know what and why. You are no longer a child, who studied, did not really understand why they need it and where it will be able to apply it in the future. You deliberately took his head, and it means that you have to do is a certain motivation and meaning. Even the fact that you are reading this article indicates that you are motivated.
Let’s look together why people decide to learn a particular foreign language.
One of the most common causes of today are the circumstances. Strong motivation is the fact that without a language you do not live. More and more citizens of the CIS countries are taking the decision to move to permanent residence in the more economically developed countries. He realizes that without a language he does not «light» or good job or, as a rule, education or good friends, with whom you can be close to us to conduct such intimate conversations. To tell the truth, without knowing the language, you can not explain in elementary store.
The second reason, closely related to the way the previous one, is the very light and pure love. Who of us have friends or acquaintances who met the man of her dreams in a marriage agency? Of course, I can answer that this girl does not always need to work, or it already has two higher educations, and can go to the store by her husband. I agree to work or not to work, study or not — a private matter (each). But familiarity with his parents, family, friends? I do not think that this girl can lock yourself in the four walls of a young society is for life. And beloved, how it will communicate?
Even a trip abroad requires at least basic knowledge of spoken language. So you can find out a lot more about the culture, history and traditions of the country. You can learn a lot more places that are worth to visit and where to go on tour! Moreover, you can find some «hot spots» known only to the locals. They are always prompt where it is cheaper, where to cheat and where you just have to bargain!
I often see people who cover a sincere love for any country. By the mentality of people, to their kitchen and demeanor! I have a friend whose love for Germany started with their famous Bavarian sausages and continued German cars, beer and a love of German music (Rammstein, Guano Apes, Tokio Hotel). The very sound of the German language conquering it. With desire, he quickly mastered the language! This same love caught my girlfriend when she was very fascinated by the Gothic style of architecture. «I once saw the Bavarian house in the mountains — and since then wanted to go there!» — She says. Now, she is fluent in German.
Knowledge of common languages such as English and Spanish — open the way to many countries. Just imagine, you’ll be able to go where so long dreamed of! And, you can save on trips and the cost of living, what you easily orient English-language sites and the people of this country.
Very often these trips, we not only broadens the mind, but also find wonderful friends! Worldwide, there are a lot of good fun and useful people, and often there is no other way to communicate with them. For this, too, it is the most appropriate English as a «language of peace». ‘English — Latin is the 20th century. »
Of course, it is worth mentioning career. Often it stimulates learning your profession. Whether you’re a philologist, translator or studying international relations — you need to be a professional in their field and know the language as an integral part of their profession. Even if you have non-humanitarian education — nowadays everyone knows what salary plus gives the knowledge of a foreign language. This search for investors and foreign partners, and more competitive!
Do you own business? Well, congratulations, no English is indispensable. The foreign partners, business negotiations and consultations and promote cooperation, entering the international market, business correspondence, advertising — all this you can fully control yourself, do not entrust it to your employees.
It is also a common cause of learning a language is a personal desire, self-development. If a person is going to live abroad, and does not use the language in a career, it’s just his personal victory over themselves, broaden their horizons, assertiveness and the ability to read books and watch movies in the original.
«The greatest victory — to win yourself!» (Plato).
Excellent! You have decided, for whatever reason, to learn a foreign language! But sometimes it’s so hard to make yourself …
From the point of view of psychology, there are several types of motivation:
- The motivation coupled with the emotions and emotional state. It can be positive and negative. Positive — this is when you have already experienced a certain pleasure from anything associated with language skills. For example, after successful negotiations with foreign partners have praised or increased bosses. Negative motivation is associated with negative emotions. For example, you fall behind in school and want to learn the language «all the luck.»
- Motivation related to the objectives of the people. Goals are important to us. When we want a promotion, expansion in business, family, or want something to someone to prove — we are ready to deal. We understand that to achieve the goal you need to work hard.
- Motivation as part of the hierarchy of values and beliefs. We each have our own priorities. Spiritual and material. It may be money, relationships, social status, respect, creativity, communication, success, growth. On this basis, we want to or do not want to do something and invest in their future.
- Motivation defined personal uniqueness and the social roles of man. For example, if a person is a polyglot, he wants to learn more and more languages to increase personal self-esteem and self-affirmation. If it is a philologist and translator — this increases their professionalism and thus earnings. Also, there are people who are just interested in the process of learning. Most large corporations Director uncomfortable feeling, not knowing even one foreign language.
- Antimotivatsiey often serve ridicule classmates or colleagues, forcibly trained against their will or inappropriate selection of teaching methods to the particular person. But more about that later. The child just once to hear that he is unable — and he’ll believe it all my life! But do not teach the bird to fly fish!
Motivation depends on knowing how to learn and the feedback during training. If you have a clear goal — will be a success!
How is it possible to strengthen the motivation?
- Realize your type of motivation.
- Connect learning with emotions or the practical application of knowledge.
- Create a feedback system, and define the stages of learning.
Let’s think about what we need to know in order to adequately speak the language?
- Grammar — you want to be able to use unconsciously. It helps to correct grammatical structure of sentences and words, to capture the meaning of the speech.
- Vocabulary, which shows a man reading and erudition. Without it, even elementary, Explain.
- The culture environment, mentality, way of thinking. The fact that Russian will tell
one by one, the Englishman and the Italian express quite differently.
- And one of the most important points — is to have the correct pronunciation. It is as if the core of the language. Even if you do everything perfectly with grammar, vocabulary and knowledge of the culture and mentality of the country — if you have a bad pronunciation, nobody will understand.
Unfortunately, in our time, universities do not pay enough attention to the pronunciation of the students. But it is so important to understand the language! Understand what you say and be able to express clearly.
There is no perfect method of learning a foreign language. For a good result it is necessary to combine the study of all of the above. The key to success — the constant repetition and / or use their knowledge in practice in life.
Why learn the language at school so rarely brings exactly the results we expect?
Let’s look at the issue of motivation in terms of education.
How often do we see adults, mature people, completely unsure of his abilities. One reason goes back in their school days. As a child, the teacher has inspired them that they are incapable of learning languages. A few simple observations can leave a deep imprint on the psyche of an immature child. If the teacher uses the motivation of success, self-confidence — the pupil, seeing the results and successes, eager to learn. Public recognition — this is a very powerful incentive!
But let’s not attacking teachers, and look a little deeper. The system of presenting language in our schools is often monotonous and poor. It is usually a little work, little media materials and games, not enough practice.
The education system is monotonous and comments, as well as bad grades, from teachers given to those children who simply do not fit such a system. For someone better visual perception of the material to someone listening, someone remembers the words in writing, someone needs a creative or a combined approach, etc. Well, can not one textbook approach 30 students at the same time! Perhaps these children very capable, just used them the wrong method of teaching. This was enough writes Robert Kiyosaki in his book, «If you want to become rich and happy do not go to school.» The purpose of this book is to shed light on how the education system affects our personality and how it affects the young today.
What, you say, if the child does not want to learn? Maybe he does not see sufficient grounds for this. He is no clearly explained where and why it will apply their knowledge in the future. He does not see the purpose and why he even need a language.
It should be as much a concrete form to convey to the student, possibly with the help of the emotional motivation or target, citing specific examples from life.
The child must understand and see clearly that with the help of a foreign language, he will be able to learn and see a lot of interesting things. This new friends, travel, fashion and overseas music, etc.
Many children are lagging behind in their studies well affect the competitive environment. If Peter did their homework and got five, why can not I? But this is highly dependent on the human temperament. A temperament is given to us from birth, it can not be changed. For some, the fact that it is lagging behind the rest is antimotivatsiey. For him to be very effective individual lessons or lessons in small groups.
It is important to teach a person to learn. It is important to understand that our whole life — a discovery of something new, every day we learn something. It is important to determine what type of motivation is right for you. Study — it’s so fun!