Spirituality (spirituality) has always been the hallmark of our brightest people, she gave a special depth of mysterious Slavonic (Slavic) soul. Our culture is worthy of more about it recognized worldwide. Well, from whom did it to learn how to not us — its native media?
Let’s learn some basic phrases, allowing it to make the world-recognized international language.
In the life of every Christian meaning of Easter is paramount (paramount), because it is fraught with the foundation (basis) of our faith (faith), namely — salvation from sin (sins) by the greatest redemption (redemption) — death of our Lord (Lord) and Savior (Savior) for us.
Here’s how to talk about it:
- Jesus Christ died for our sins. — Jesus Christ died for our sins.
- Christ died for us on the Cross. — Christ died for us on the cross.
- The Lord’s blood was shed for our redemption. — Lord’s blood was shed for our sins.
- We have redemption through His death. — We have been given redemption through his death.
- The gift of God is eternal life in Christ. — God’s gift to us — eternal life in Christ.
- We can only get the forgiveness of sins through our Lord’s death. — We can have our sins only through the death of our Lord.
- Christ’s death is the central idea of the Gospel’s message. — Gospel has as its focal point of Christ’s death.
- Learn about the celebration of Easter traditions in America and Britain in our article «Easter in Britain and America.»
About Lent English
Easter is preceded by Lent (t he Great Fast / Great Lent), which lasts for 40 days before the holiday. The main purpose of the post is our spiritual and moral transformation (spiritual and moral transformation), repentance (repentance), purification of mind and body (purification of mind and body). This transformation begins with the last Sunday before Lent, called the Sunday of Forgiveness (Forgiveness Sunday). In this day, we sincerely ask for forgiveness from each other.
- The Great Fast is the most important fasting season among Orthodox believers. — Lent — the most important period of fasting among Orthodox believers.
- We sincerely ask for forgiveness of each other on Forgiveness Sunday. — We sincerely ask forgiveness of each other on Forgiveness Sunday.
- The faithful must make peace with everyone before the Great Lent. — Believers are to make peace with all before Lent.
- Without making peace with everyone we can not fast. — No reconciliation with all, we can not fast.
- We must pray much while fasting. — During Lent we must pray a lot.
- Fasting is our voluntary sacrifice to God. — Post — it is our voluntary sacrifice to God.
During Lent, we must refrain from eating meat and dairy products (meat and dairy products), as well as a great sin is to have bad thoughts or the use of bad words (bad words), as well as committing sinful acts (sinful deeds) against neighbor (neighbor).
This is how you can say in English:
- Orthodox fasting must include abstaining from meat and dairy products. — Orthodox post must include abstinence from meat and dairy products.
- Having bad thoughts is a great sin for true believers. — Having bad thoughts — a great sin for the true believers.
- True fasting is putting away evil deeds and sinful thoughts. — This post — a rejection of evil deeds and sinful thoughts.
- One of the main ideas of fasting is struggle with the passions. — One of the main ideas of the post — the struggle with the passions.
Holy Week: customs celebration
The last Sunday before Easter is called Palm Sunday (Palm Sunday — literally, «Palm Sunday», as the way of Jesus Stela palm branches. According to another version — Stela his clothes and waved palm branches). According to the Gospel the people who witnessed the (witnesses) resurrection (resurrection) of Jesus Lazarus (which is celebrated on Saturday on the eve of a special liturgy in the church (church services) and called Lazarus Saturday (Lazarus’ Saturday)), to believe that he is really the Son of God (the Son of God). And his coming to Jerusalem (Jerusalem) pave the way for Him with palm branches, which was considered a sign of great reverence and respect. In our culture of palm leaves (probably due to their lack of elementary) symbolically replaced willow (willow) branches, which are usually kept in the house on Palm Sunday (Willow / Palm Sunday). A week before this Sunday is called Palm Week (the Willow week). And next week is called the Holy (the Holy Week), since the celebration in Jerusalem preceded the subsequent great suffering (suffering) of Christ. So last week of Lent is particularly rigorous.
Let’s talk about it:
- The pussy willows symbolize new beginnings, new life. — Palm «seals» symbolize a new beginning, a new life.
- The faithful keep the branches in their houses as a blessing until the next Easter. — Believers keep branches in houses as a blessing until next Easter.
- It is believed that willow branches have purifying and healing power. — It is believed that the pussy-willow branches are endowed with a cleansing and healing power.
- Children are lightly beaten with the branches with the following words: «You are beaten not by me but by the willow. Easter is coming in a week. «- Kids lightly beaten branches, saying:» Do not beat me — Willow beats! Easter a week! »
- The last week is dedicated to preparing for Easter. — The last week is devoted to preparation for Easter.
Next comes the Maundy Thursday (Clean Thursday) — the day on which, according to tradition, it is necessary to bring the house in order and to bathe before sunrise. Also begin on Maundy Thursday oven Easter cakes (kulich or Easter cake), symbolizing the body of Christ.
Easter cake — a special bread that is baked at high cylindrical tanks (baked in tall, cylindrical tins) and decorated with white frosting (decorated with white icing) with multi-colored flowers and other things. The cake can be eaten only during the first 40 days after Easter (during first 40 days after Easter).
Then comes the most mournful day — Good / Good Friday (Good Friday) — the day that happened the greatest crime of all time — the Lord was was oppressed (tortured) and crucified (crucified).
- On Good Friday the faithful commemorate the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ. — On Good Friday, the faithful commemorate the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus died on cross for our sins. — Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
- Many churches hold special services on Good Friday. — Many churches hold special services on Good Friday.
- No work is done on Good Friday. — On Good Friday, can not do anything.
On Saturday, the eve of Easter cakes made oven and dyeing eggs (dye / paint Easter eggs). Later in the afternoon the family smartly dressed, preparing a special basket (basket), which put the cakes, eggs, red wine and other products for the «breaking of the fast» and brings the church to sanctify.
Here’s how to tell about it:
- Starting from Saturday evening believers bring the food to church to be blessed. — Starting from Saturday evening, believers are going to church for sanctification.
- During the Easter service the kulich is blessed by the priest. — During the Easter service cake consecrated priest.
- Apart from Easter cakes and painted eggs the Easter basket can contain salt, ham and sausage. — Besides Easter cakes and colored eggs Easter basket may contain salt, ham and sausage.
And, finally, there comes a great Easter Sunday, in which people go to church and then gather their families, to pay homage to the table a great God’s redemption made for us. On this day, people greet each other with the words «Christ is risen!» (Christ is risen!) And hear the answer, «Truly He is risen!» (Is truly risen! / Risen indeed!).
Eggs are a symbol of long life and resurrection (continuing life and resurrection).
Throughout the week after Easter, especially on the first Sunday after Easter, people remember the dead. People greet each other with «Christ is risen!»
Throughout the week after Easter, especially on the first Sunday after Easter, people remember the dead (people remember the dead). People go to the cemetery (cemeteries), bring food and commemorate the dead.
- We also prepared an article with useful links that are related to this bright holiday «Easter Useful sites for English language learners.» Through these links you will be able to develop my English even on holidays.
Finally, we all know from childhood the most important of the Orthodox prayer — «Our Father.» I think now is the perfect time to practice her English!
Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Also, be sure to download all useful vocabulary on the topic:
↓ Download the list of useful words on the theme «Features of the celebration of Orthodox Easter» (* .pdf, 201 KB)