Summer is in full swing. It starting time of holidays, which many want to spend abroad (abroad / overseas). We all want to enjoy a great time in other countries, rest and gain strength and energy. Our impressions of the trip stay with us in the form of photographs and memories. Most travel goes smoothly and calmly, without any problems. But, unfortunately, not always rosy. Tourists have to deal with emergency cases and accidents (emergencies). How to react in this case? What to do? Answers to these questions and devoted a series of articles titled «Survival guide».
I suggest you watch the video International travel — How to plan for emergencies, which focuses on the problems encountered on vacation:
↓ Download video transcript (* .pdf, 208 KB)
- To safeguard — to store, protect.
- To obtain — to receive.
- To replace — to restore, replace.
- To submit — to present the documents.
- To relay message — to send the message.
- To eliminate — to eliminate, eliminate.
- To withdraw currency — withdraw money.
- Itinerary — route.
- Trip interruption coverage — insurance in case of cancellation of the trip.
- Prescription medication — prescription medication.
- ATM (automatic teller machine) — ATM.
- Fraud — a fraud.
- Accessible — available, convenient for viewing.
In the first article we will talk about emergency situations that require medical attention. Just think about the possible problems (problems) and their consequences (consequences) is desirable even to the journey. It is mandatory health insurance (health insurance / health insurance policy), which you arrange to travel abroad. Learn about what your insurance covers events (coverage), to ensure that in most situations you can get free medical care (medical care / medical assistance). Mention should also be coverage Medevac insurance (Medical Evacuation). It allows you to bring you home by special plane with medical care on board (special jet with medical personnel), if circumstances so require. Think about this insurance, if you are going to be a long time abroad. Do not forget about vaccinations (vaccinations / inoculations), which are mandatory for certain countries.
If you have an accident (accident involving injuries) and in urgent need of medical care, try to obtain it by any means:
- Call a special telephone (emergency services number) in the city of your stay.
- Contact any nearest clinic as soon as possible (ASAP — as soon as possible).
- Call your embassy (Embassy) and check out what the hospital to contact if your condition is not critical. In turn, the Embassy in case of your hospitalization, notify your family and insurance company (insurance company).
- Independently, notify your family or relatives (notify your family).
As you can see, that the necessary telephone numbers is very important information while traveling. Keep to yourself — in your wallet or purse — the following numbers:
- Local emergency numbers (ambulance) and police (police).
- Emergency telephone number 112 (the total number due to emergency services in all countries of the European Union and some other countries — all 81 countries).
- Emergency telephone number 911 (universal number for the United States, other countries, you may be redirected to a local number).
- Phone insurer of your insurance company (insurer).
- Phone issuer your credit card (card issuer) to lock the card if it is stolen.
I recommend to listen to the two well-known podcast site eslpod.com, vocabulary which you can use in emergencies related to health.
Making an emergency medical call
- Ambulance — Ambulance.
I called an ambulance. — I called an ambulance.
- Emergency operator — an emergency operator.
An emergency operator is a key member of the ambulance service. — An emergency operator — Chief Officer aid.
- Car accident / pileup — traffic accident.
Police reported a ten-car pileup on an icy road. — The police reported ten accidents on icy roads.
- Jaws of life — hydraulic rescue tools.
Fire fighters used the Jaws of Life to free the trapped victims. — Firefighters took advantage of hydraulic rescue tools to rescue the three trapped people.
- Paramedic — Ambulance officer.
A paramedic is the senior healthcare professional at an accident or a medical emergency. — Paramedic — a senior medical officer in case of accident or medical emergency ward.
- To state — state, specify report.
Please state why you wish to apply for this grant. — Please state why you wish to apply for this grant.
- To trace — track determined.
The phone company were unable to trace the call. — The phone company was not able to trace the call.
- To rescue — rescue.
The lifeboat rescued the sailors from the sinking boat. — Lifeboat rescued sailors from a sinking ship.
- To explode — explode.
He was driving so fast that his car tyre exploded. — He was driving so fast that the tire burst.
- To stay on the line — to stay in touch.
They decide whether to stay on the line or leave a message. — They decide to stay on the line or leave a message.
- Hurt — the wounded, the victim.
Put that knife away before someone gets hurt. — Put the knife, while nobody was wounded.
- Unconscious — unconscious.
She was hit on the head by a stone and knocked unconscious. — She was hit on the head with a stone, and it is disabled.
- Trapped — jammed.
The two men died when they were trapped in a burning building. — Two men were killed because of that get stuck in a burning building.
Calling an ambulance
- A history of — history, medical history.
Obtaining an accurate history is the critical first step in determining the diagnosis. — Medical history — this is the most important step in determining the diagnosis.
- Allergy — allergies.
An allergy is a reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most other people. — Allergies — is the reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most people.
- Medication — drugs, medicines.
He is currently on / taking medication for his heart. — At the moment he takes medication for heart disease.
- Wound — sore.
He died from multiple wounds to the neck. — He died of multiple wounds to the neck.
- Stretcher — stretcher.
She was carried off the track on a stretcher — it was moved out of the way to finish the game.
- Ambulance — Ambulance.
We were woken in the night by the wail of ambulance sirens. — At night, we were awakened by sirens ambulance.
- Emergency room — the emergency room.
When you need help right away, you can go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital. — When you need urgent help, you can go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital.
- Helicopter — helicopter.
The injured were ferried to hospital by helicopter. — The victim was taken to hospital by helicopter.
- To lose consciousness — lose consciousness.
He lost consciousness after his accident. — He lost consciousness after the accident.
- To black out — momentarily lose consciousness.
After I fell, I must have blacked out. — After the fall, I should be shut down for a minute.
- To be in pain — to feel, to endure the pain.
She was in constant pain. — She was always in pain.
- To bleed — bleeding.
Your arm is bleeding. — You got out of hand is bleeding.
- To stay still — keep cool.
If you are not able to get to shore and a shark approaches you, try to stay still and be quiet to avoid an attack. — If you can not reach the shore, and the shark approaches you, stay calm, to avoid shark attacks.
- To check out — check to inspect.
When in doubt, get checked out. — When in doubt, go to the survey.
- Hurt — the wounded, the victim.
Let me help you up. Are you hurt? — Let us help you. Are you wounded?
- Calm — calm, cool.
After a night of fighting, the streets are now calm. — Now the streets are quiet after a night of fights.
- Medivac — medical evacuation.
A medivac team will go directly to any location ordered. — A team of medical evacuation will come right back to where they were right.
How to stay healthy while traveling?
Even if you follow safety rules abroad, do not risk in vain, try to take care of yourself, insidious health problems can sneak up unnoticed. And do you always pay attention to what you eat in different countries? That food is one of the key moments of the trip. It can bring you joy when you eat something very tasty and unusual, and could hurt so that you will need to help the doctor.
- Culinary — Culinary.
- Delight — delicacy, delight, pleasure.
- Street vendor — street vendor.
- Accustomed — accustomed.
- To explore — to study, to find out, test.
- An established restaurant — a restaurant with a good reputation.
- Cautious — cautious, cautious.
- Contaminated — contaminated.
- Purified — purified.
A good complement to this material will be a vocabulary in the article «The theme of Health in the English language.»
Following these simple rules will help you to enjoy the long-awaited vacation! Take care of yourself. Be healthy.