Around the world, millions of people are trying to learn English. This can be done in different ways: in school, in courses in conversational clubs, but you can learn the language of their own.
- About how to choose the most suitable way of learning, we wrote in our school blog in the article «3 popular ways of learning English: choose the best.»
Independent work — an important aspect in the study of English. Even if you are doing with the teacher, you still need to delve into each topic and all the subtleties of language and by yourself. It is impossible to understand and to learn a lesson, after the need to do your homework in English, see the topic on their own to secure it. The importance of self in the process of language acquisition is hard to overestimate.
But unfortunately, not everyone can afford to engage in paid language courses or with a personal trainer. Then come to the aid of an independent study of the English language.
The main pros and cons of self-study
The main advantages are the following:
- It is cheap. You can buy or download a free book, podcast and to avoid additional costs.
- Freedom of learning without limits.
- The opportunity to study at the desired time and at your own pace.
- The development of a sense of responsibility.
- No criticism.
But as always, in all good there is always a fly in the ointment:
- Laziness. Sometimes it is very difficult to force yourself to sit down and start to learn the language.
- Boredom. If you like to chat, you will be hard to learn English on their own.
- Manage your time. Time management skills have not all, so there is a danger of losing the pace of learning.
- Lack of response. When you learn to yourself, no one will help with grammar and pronunciation. You are responsible for the quality of education.
To learn English on their own, you need to be responsible and properly manage their time.
Where to find inspiration?
When you learn the language on their own, it is very easy to get lost in the sea of sources available today. Of course, you can listen and watch programs in English (such as the BBC or CNN), or work on the textbook. But where to find the English, if you do not live in a country in which he is a national? You just need to carefully look around. English is all around us.
Movies or short video in English is now available to all. If you are watching a movie with subtitles, try to look away from them, or simply close their eyes from time to time. You see, what you hear? Of course, initially it will be difficult to understand it at the hearing, but if you perform these exercises regularly, the result will delight you.
Tablets, signs and labels in English, too, everywhere: on TV, computer, transportation and clothing. Very often we just do not notice them. You can read these words? You understand instructions written in English?
Clubs and lectures in English may be available in your town. Find out whether there is a club where communication in English.
- By the way, in large cities often organize meetings Couchsurfing.
Very often, foreign companies arrange seminars or presentations, publish brochures in English. If you want to become a programmer working in a multinational company, ask whether educational programs in English in this specialization in your town. Be of good cheer!
Blogs, thematic forums, social. network — all this will spur interest in learning the language on their own.
Objectives and assessment of your abilities
Learn English on their own can be fun, but it’s hard. It is often difficult to motivate yourself when no one with whom to share your successes. Very difficult to determine the current level of knowledge, especially if you learn the language in their own country.
It is therefore very important to set yourself a long-term and short-term goals. For example, long-term goal — to pass an international exam at the end of the year. The short-term goal could be learned in the memory of the song in English or understanding a particular magazine headlines at the end of the month. In any case, the goal should be realistic. If you are beginner, meaningless set a goal: «I want to speak fluent English by the end of the month.» You have to be honest with yourself, know your strengths and weaknesses. The time frame is also important. If not set, it is possible to lose motivation.
Learning to do?
- If you decide to do on their own, decide the method of learning English. It should not be intrusive and perceived as a burden.
- Decide on temporary employment. If you are a «night owl», engaged in the evening, if the «early bird» — in the morning. Engage regularly, preferably each day, at the same time. Even if you do not long, but regularly, it will give a better result than a two-hour lesson once a week.
- The most effective lessons for 60 or 90 minutes a day. Chance of a five- or ten-minute break. Time for memorizing words worth considering further. Shortly after passing the material includes 10-15 minute lessons learned repetition.
- Choose a comfortable and well-lighted place to study where you will not be disturbed during class.
- Consider all the activities for learning: speaking, reading, writing and listening, based on all the senses. Use the hearing, vision, speech organs and hands.
Forward and only forward
It is important not to stop in the English language, is constantly put into practice their knowledge. To do this, you need to properly use the free time, for example, on the way home, or while waiting. Even if it is only ten minutes, they will progress to your advantage. Try to translate the sentences with the native language, speak in front of a mirror with you involve friends or relatives in training.
Of course, repeat what took place. Only in this case, your knowledge will be strong.
Stick to your own pace, gradually he can accelerate, but do not rush to something new, for example, intensive technique. Racing and impermanence practices may adversely affect the result.
Do not forget to praise yourself for everything accomplished. Believe in your power, then you conquer any «language tops.»
And, of course, interested in culture, history, economy and geography of the country the language you are learning. It’s very motivating in the self-study of English.
In today’s world so many opportunities to learn English. Ultimately, there is no absolute right or wrong way to do it. We must look for something that is right for you. Assess your skills, time, which you have to study, and, if you have enough to choose this method.
- If you do not have much time or unsure tutoring with an experienced teacher of our school.
The skills of independent work you in any way useful. Enjoy learning English and do not stop in front of any obstacles. Then you’ll thank yourself for your persistence. It’s so nice to understand what you hear or read in English.