In the English language, as well as in Russian, one of the main parts of speech is a verb (verb). He refers to an action or state. The verbs in the English language may be semantic, service and support. In addition, all English verbs are divided into two major groups: regular and irregular. This classification came into force of historical development to form the simple past tense (Past Simple) and the participle II (Participle II). The two groups include a sufficiently large number of verbs. In addition, many of the most active verbs still are incorrect. What is the difference between regular and irregular verbs in English?
Regular verbs in the English language: regular verbs
Regular verbs in the English language (regular verbs) — verbs which form the simple past tense and participle II is formed by adding the ending — ed to the base verb. For example:
- Look — looked — watch
- Paint — painted — paint
- Call — called — called
In this rule, there are some nuances:
- The verb ends in a silent e, then we add only the letter d:
- Improve — improved — better
- Like — liked — like
- End ed pronounced t, if the verb ends in a voiceless consonant or hissing:
- Stop — stopped — stop
- Polish — polished — polished, honed
By the way, in the formation of monosyllabic verbs Past Simple doubles final consonant as the verb stop.
- End pronounced ed d, if the verb ends in a vowel or a voiced consonant:
- Study — studied — study
- Destroy — destroyed — destroy
- Travel — travelled — travel
In verbs ending in y, if the consonant in front of it, adding the end ed y changes to i (like the verb study). If y before a vowel, there is no change (as a verb destroy).
- Ending -ed is pronounced like id, if the verb ends in the t or d:
- Report — reported — report, report
- Pretend — pretended — to pretend
Regular verbs in English do not cause problems, as the rules of their education, as you may have noticed, it is very simple.
Irregular verbs in the English language: irregular vebs
Irregular verbs in the English language (irregular verbs) differ from the right that they did not constitute rules on the form the simple past tense (Past Simple) and the participle II (Participle II). That is not by adding to the base of the verb endings ed. Irregular verbs in English are many, in fact some of them are very active verbs. The entire list of irregular verbs in English to be remembering. Find the list in any textbook English. We are only an example of what could be the form of these verbs:
- Fly — flew — flown — flying
- Be — was / were — been — have existed
- Bring — brought — brought — bear
- Speak — spoke — spoken — talk
To know the irregular verbs in English is very important, as they are used everywhere.
If you are sure that you know the material well, then go test «Test regular and irregular verbs in the English language,» to make sure that this is indeed the case.