Numbers, numbers, as well as all sorts of words denoting the number, date, time, are an indispensable part of our lives. Every nation and every language has its own system of calculation, which is expressed appropriately. English is no exception. And, then, a person learning English is very important to know as much about it consumed numerals (numerals). First of all, the cardinal — is the part of speech, indicating the number and order of items in the bill. Starting from the definition we have two kinds of numerals — quantitative (cardinal numbers) and ordinal (ordinal numbers). In this article, we will focus on ordinal numbers in English.
Ordinal numbers — is what?
Ordinal numbers in English determines the ordinal position of the subject in the long run. These numerals answer the question which? (what that). The main rule for the formation of this kind of numerals: cardinal number to add the suffix — th. For example: six — sixth (six — the sixth), ten — tenth (ten — ten). However, there are some clarifications and exceptions.
- Exceptions are the following numerals:
- One — first (one — the first one)
- Two — second (two — second)
- Three — third (three — third)
- In the formation of ordinal numbers in English, as the fifth and twelfth (fifth and twelfth), we replace v by f, but omit the letter e.
- The numeral eighth (eighth) falls t, and the numeral in the ninth (ninth) drops e.
Well, in the ordinal numbers such as the twentieth (twentieth), the thirtieth (thirtieth), fortieth (fortieth), etc. y me at the end ie.
Complex ordinal numbers in English are different in that the shape of the numeral sequence gets the last word: fifty — third, three hundred and seventh, six hundredth, nine thousandth, one millionth.
Use ordinal numbers in English
All nouns that are used with ordinal numbers have the definite article the: the fourth episode, the ninth floor, the eleventh century.
If the ordinal number in front of the English language is the indefinite article a / an, then this numeral has another additional meaning — «another»: I would like a second book.
Here is the basic information about ordinal numbers in English. This topic is closely related to the other as described in the articles that need to pay attention:
- «The numerals in the English language»
- «Cardinal numbers in English»
- «Dates and ordinal numbers in English»
- «Fractional numerals in the English language»
After reading them, we recommend to pass the following test: «The test for the use of numerals in the English language.»