If one were to characterize the modern world in one word, I would be mistaken by the word «movement» (move), and the movement has always and everywhere: on the ground (on land), the water (on water), air (through the air). We are always on the move (on the move) and, depending on our needs, we choose different modes of transport (means of transport). Since the physical capabilities are limited and walk (on foot) far and fast you will not leave, the entire history of its existence, people were and are more and more new ways of movement. In today’s article we will look at, if not all, very many modes of transport available (available) in the modern world.
So, we start with land transport modes.
Machines (cars). One of the most convenient (convenient) and comfortable (comfortable) ways to move from point A to point B. A hundred years ago they were considered a luxury (luxury), only a few could afford to (afford) to buy a private car. But now it is impossible to imagine life without cars.
- The buses (buses / coaches). The most common way to travel in the near, medium and even long distance.
- Trucks (trucks or lorry). Hardly can call them daily for most people, means of transport, but they carry the goods as between cities and regions, and between countries.
- Trains (trains). My favorite mode of transportation of many detective stories, most of which were written in the last century. If writers are transported to the world of today, lying in front of them to difficult choices scene detective — because there is also a light rail transport (light railway), which is used primarily to carry passengers around the city. It’s a cross between a train and tram, but closer to the tram. It is popular in Britain, America, Canada and other countries. There are also freight trains (freight or goods trains), used for the transport of goods.
- Monorail (monorail) is not quite accustomed to our human kind of land transport. It’s like a subway, but not underground. Special popularity he enjoys in Asia, we also often monorails can be found in amusement parks or shopping malls.
- Streetcars (trams), or as they were called in the old days, streetcars, or trolley cars, — one of the earliest forms of public transport (public transport), which is popular all over the world to this day.
- Motorcycles or motorcycles needs no introduction. Appearing for the first time in the late nineteenth century, they not only did not lose its relevance, but also strongly modified. «Younger brother» motorcycle — minibike or minimoto, or pocketbike, known as minibike, in fact, is a miniature copy of a conventional motorcycle. Another of their «relative» — scooter (scooter or scooter), comes in many forms: there are urban (the distinguishing feature — a small wheel), and sports.
- You can not go past the vehicle, known to all of us from the very first years of life — forever young bike (bicycle or bike, or cycle). Since its inception, it has a lot of water has flowed, and today you can find a variety of bikes for various purposes.
- Do not forget about skateboards (skateboards), segways (electric scooters) and roller skates (roller skating), which, however, more than one passenger can not contain and are designed more on having fun than on movement.
- In the countryside and in the towns still use carts (cart).
Water transport modes
Vessels (ships) — the ones that are often confused with the sheep because of the similar pronunciation (ship — sheep), there are cruise (cruise ships) and freight (cargo ship). Among the most popular cruise ship (steamship or steamer) and boats (motor ship).
- Paddle steamer (paddle steamers) were used primarily for transportation of people and products along the rivers.
- Ferries (ferries) are required for the transport of passengers and cars from one bank to another.
- Cargo ships (cargo ships), including container ships (container vessels), tankers (tankers), bulk carriers and bulkers (bulk carriers), designed to carry heavy loads of water.
- To protect the country in case of an attack on the water used by warships (naval ships), and under water — submarine (submarines).
- Hydrofoils (hydrofoils), hovercraft (hovercrafts), catamarans (catamarans) are also used to transport people.
- Motor boats (motorboats or speedboats) were created for pleasure: water-skiing, fishing and so on. D.
- There are boats, which are used not only for transportation, but also for living. They are called floating homes (houseboats). Most recent invention — boats, cars (car-boats), they can move both on land and on water.
Passenger airplanes (passenger planes) have become part of everyday life of the modern world and is unlikely to go away from it in the coming decades. There are freight planes (cargo aircraft), they quickly ship goods over long distances.
- Fighter aircraft (fighter planes) to protect the country’s borders in the air.
- Balloon (hot air balloon) is widely used around the world as entertainment.
- Airship (dirigible) — the aircraft is lighter than air, which in today’s world where the little used, although recently revived interest in them, since they can deliver the goods in places inaccessible to other aircraft.
- Helicopters (helicopters) can fly up and down or float in the air, but can not boast that can accommodate a large number of passengers.
- Seaplane or seaplanes (seaplanes) are able to take off from the water and land on the water surface. It should be noted that «seaplane» — general name for various types of air transport.
- There are also jet aircraft with vertical take-off (jump jets), which differ in that they do not need the runway to make takeoff or landing.
- Hang gliders (hang-gliders) are popular with thrill-seekers and are designed for one or two people.
- Spacecraft (spacecraft) include rockets (rockets) and spaceships and shuttles (spaceships or space shuttles).
- There are many other aircraft, such as ornithopters (ornithopters), human-powered aircraft (human-powered aircrafts), tsiklokoptery (cyclogyros or cyclocopters), flying submarines (flying submarines), WIG (ground effect vehicles), gyros (autogyros) and even helicopters, backpacks (backpack helicopters)!
What did not come up with had, and how many unusual inventions still waiting for us! And now I propose to repeat all the words and test your knowledge in an interesting test.
↓ Download the table with all kinds of transport (* .pdf, 198 kb)