Get a driver’s license (driver license) in the US is quite simple. The age at which to receive the generally vary from state to state, but not significantly (15-16 years). Since public transportation in the United States is not very popular, the availability of the machine there is a must!
On the way to obtaining the rights necessary to pass only 2 phases: a written test and a driving test. A visit to a special driving school is not required. In a written test of 46 questions, of which you need to answer correctly at least 39 (passing score).
After passing the test, the student (applicant) issued a temporary permit for driving (temporary driver license), the presence of which he can drive a car, but only in the presence of the driver is not under 25 years of age and with a permanent (not temporary) driving license (regular driver license ). Then you need to register for the test driving. The maximum test score — 100 points to pass it must be at least 70. The duration of the test score is 20-25 minutes, which is very convenient because it does not need to wait for their turn for several hours. Test driving can take your own car, or borrow it from parents or friends.
After passing the exams are given immediately right in the traffic police (DMV — Department of Motor Vehicles). But, depending on the state (laws and regulations may vary) for the whole year shall be issued a temporary driver’s license.
Now we look at why …
In some states there is a 12-point system (12-point system) for a period of 12 months (12-month period). In other words, for each road offense the driver charged «point» — points. The more serious the offense, the more «points» gets the driver. Over 12 months the maximum number of «points» must not exceed 11 as if the driver was 12 or more, then it loses the rights automatically on average from 2 to 6 months or more!
If the driver a temporary driver’s license, then all the «Points» for violations are doubled! That is why at this time need to be very careful on the road, so as not to lose the rights in the first year of driving! All violations are saved in the system for at least 5 years, except for driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, such offenses are stored in the system for 55 years. In fact, in the US drink-driving is one of the most common and the most serious violations. Many employers check whether the applicant has a job of such an offense, and if there can not even get a job.
For what is charged «point»? I will enumerate only the most common.
6 «points» can be obtained for:
- Speeding 20 (32.2 kilometers per hour) or more miles per hour (over speed limit by 20 mph or more) MPH — Miles Per Hour, 1 km = 0.6214 miles
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs (DUI — Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol).
- Failure to provide first aid after an accident (failure to give aid after an accident).
- Speeding at 11-19 miles per hour (over speed limit by 11 through 19 mph).
- Driving on the wrong side (driving on the wrong side of a street or highway).
- Neustuplenie road (failing to yield).
- Speeding 1-10 miles per hour (over speed limit by 1 through 10 mph).
- Driving with an expired driving license or driving without a license (driving on an expired license or without a license).
- Overtaking in the wrong places (passing illegally).
Also, the driver has the right to reduce the number of «points» (3 «Point») (to reduce points) 1 time in 5 years. To do this, pass a special course on traffic rules!
In principle, nothing complicated here, the main thing is not to break the law, and you can spend on a trip for life without typing a single «point»! Believe me, it is possible! 🙂 And most importantly, the police in the United States did not corrupt, why not be able to avoid a fine on the road, but more about that in the next article!