In any society, there is always a struggle for wealth (wealth / material values). Someone had better luck in life, someone less. In addition, everyone is different, each person with their temperament and their priorities. But since we are all human beings, we are inherent in feelings such as anger, hatred, jealousy, envy, cruelty, etc. So it turns out that to live peacefully and happily, we can not. There is always one who, being dissatisfied for any reason, dare to illegal actions (illegal acts / actions) against another representative of our society. In this case, it is a crime (crime). A person becomes a criminal (criminal).
Know the information from the area of crime and justice (justice) in the English language and be able to understand and explain what is at stake, is a must. Nobody knows where he will be at some point in their lives, and sometimes these information can be of great help in a difficult situation. For example, you are robbed abroad, or you have been the object of sexual harassment (sexual harassment). Worse yet, you are accused of any crime (misdeed / outrage) and try to prosecute (bring to responsibility / bring to account), when you are in another country. Or are you trying to defend their rights (assert your rights) in any matter in court (court), taking place on the territory of an English-speaking country. English — the international language. Therefore, regardless of the state, you understand and you understand what was going on, if it will be grounded in the material devoted to the crimes in English and in everything connected with it.
What are the crimes in English?
To properly explain what kind of crime in question, or to understand what crime have in mind, you need to know their classification and related vocabulary. Let’s imagine the possible crimes in the English language in a list, which in addition to the name of crime in English, will be present and determination of the person who commits this crime, and the verb, indicating a violation of the law (breach / violation of the law).
- Murder (premeditated murder) — murderer (the murderer) — to murder smb (kill). The total value of the «kill» is the verb to kill. Manslaughter — murder by negligence.
- Robbery (theft, robbery) — robber (thief, robber) — to rob smb / somewhere (to steal, rob).
- Shoplifting (shoplifting) — shoplifter (shoplifter) — to shoplift (steal from the store). The total value of «stealing» from the verb to steal. Note the difference between the verb and the verb to rob. If we say that someone robbed or specify the place where stolen something, we use the second verb. If we refer to things that have been stolen, then use the verb to steal. The total value of «stealing» from the verb to thieve.
- Burglary (burglary, penetration) — burglar (burglar, burglar) — to break into a house / flat (invade a house, apartment).
- Mugging (muggings) — mugger (mugger) — to mug smb (rob someone on the street).
- Car theft (stealing a car) — car thief (thief) — to steal a car (to steal a car).
- Drug pushing / dealing (the drug trade) — drug pusher / dealer (dealer) — to deal / sell drugs (to sell drugs).
- Terrorism (Terrorism) — terrorist (terrorist) — to attack smb / place (to attack someone, attack anything).
- Smuggling (smuggling) — smuggler (smuggler) — to smuggle (smuggling).
- Arson (arson) — arsonist (arsonist) — to set fire to (ignite).
- Kidnapping (kidnapping) — kidnapper (Thief) — to kidnap (kidnap).
- Vandalism (vandalism) — vandal (vandal) — to break and smash things (break, destroy, defile anything).
- Rape (rape) — rapist (the rapist) — to rape (rape).
Of course, this is not all crimes in the English language, but the most basic. When a person commits a crime (commit a crime), he becomes a suspect (suspect) and remains so for as long as it does not condemn (condemn / convict) and convicted (account / bring in guilty) or justify (justify / acquit ) and found not guilty (find innocence). Suspect arrested (arrest) the police (law-enforcement agencies) and delivered in detention (remand prison / custody suit / detention cell).
An investigation (investigation), during which the available evidence (evidence) and evidence (proof) atrocities. The offender may himself to plead guilty (admit guilt / plead guilty). The suspect indict (accuse smf of smth / charge smb with smth), and further a criminal investigation (criminal case) to court. During the proceedings (court proceeding) adjudicates (pass verdict on smb) and punishment (punishment / penalty). If the verdict of acquittal (non-guilty verdict), then the suspect is free. If the verdict (guilty verdict), it is decided for how long (term for serving punishment) and a prison (jail / prison) the convict will serve it (serve). The judge (judge) or jurors (jury) to court (trial) decide whether to send a person to jail (send smb to prison / sentence smb).
By the way, the punishment can range from very light, any penalty (fine), to the heaviest — the death penalty (death penalty / capital punishment), which is present in several countries, but they are trying to undo all over the world. This material will help you at least a little to understand a topic like «Crimes in the English language.» However, I wish you never to commit crimes and do not become a victim of unlawful acts.