This part of the speech as a numeral in the English language is not difficult to understand. After all, there are numbers and numbers in any language. Therefore navigate in them is not difficult. The only difference is that the numerals of each language has its own characteristics, which may not be in their mother tongue. Therefore, by studying this part of the speech, you need only remember the names of figures and numbers, as well as cases of their correct use in certain situations or contexts.
As in the Russian language, the English have numbers, by which we believe anything. They are called quantitative — cardinal numbers (one, two, three, four, etc.). As well as numbers, we determine the order of something in the long run. These numerals are called sequence — ordinal numbers (first, second, third, fourth, etc.). An article about ordinal numbers already present on the blog — «Ordinal numbers in the English language.» And now we talk more about the cardinal numbers in English.
What are they — cardinal numbers in the English language?
I recall that the cardinal numbers in the English language — are the ones that show the number of items and answer the question «how much?» — How many? These are the cardinal numbers can be found in the English language:
|1 — one||13 — thirteen||30 — thirty|
|2 — two||14 — fourteen||40 — forty|
|3 — three||15 — fifteen||50 — fifty|
|4 — four||16 — sixteen||60 — sixty|
|5 — five||17 — seventeen||70 — seventy|
|6 — six||18 — eighteen||80 — eighty|
|7 — seven||19 — nineteen||90 — ninety|
|8 — eight||20 — twenty||100 — one hundred|
|9 — nine||21 — twenty-one|
|10 — ten||22 — twenty-two|
|11 — eleven||23 — twenty-three|
|12 — twelve||24 — twenty-four|
Among these cardinal numbers in English, you can see that they are simple (one, two, three, hundred, thousand) and derivatives (those in which there are suffixes — teen and — ty: seventeen, fifty). There is also a component that includes two or more words: eight hundred, five hundred and forty three, six thousand three hundred and ninety nine. Such complex numerals, like the word «thousand» we have not yet mentioned. So, as a way of cardinal numbers more than a hundred:
|101 — one hundred and one|
|102 — one hundred and two|
|200 — two hundred|
|300 — three hundred|
|1000 — one thousand|
|1001 — one thousand and one|
|1346 — one thousand three hundred and forty six|
|3000 — three thousand|
|10,000 — ten thousand|
And, of course, we can not ignore the greatest values of cardinal numbers in the English language:
|100000 — one hundred thousand|
|One million — one million|
|1 billion — one milliard (familiar in England) and one billion (accustomed to in the US)|
Note: when we write the cardinal numbers compound numbers, then every three digits separated by a comma: 6, 15, or 485, 394, 253. But in fractions using a point — 2.5 or 4.46. And in the Russian language all quite the opposite: we define a point shot and a point — level.
Features use of cardinal numbers in English
Let’s talk about some features of the use of cardinal numbers.
- Look at the numerals from 13 to 19. They saw pattern? Yes, these numerals are formed with the suffix — teen on the first ten numerals. Do not miss small changes in spelling in 13 (thirteen) and 15 (fifteen). Say right numerals with the suffix — the emphasis is not only on the first syllable (secondary), but on this suffix (main). But this is not always the case. In the case of the noun, from the suffix stress disappears, and becomes the only secondary, and, therefore, mainly: sixteen tables, nineteen cars.
- On the same principle formed numerals expressing dozens. We work with the first ten digits and the suffix — ty (see list above). Also note that among tens and units have followed a hyphen (fifty-five, sixty-three, ninety-one).
- If you were careful, certainly we have noticed that the numerals hundred, thousand and a million there is plural when they face a different numeral: seven hundred, five thousand, nine million. However, if we are talking about some uncertain quantity, the ending — s possible:
Millions of people voted in this election. — Millions of people voted in these elections.
- If you meet the phrase «five hundred workers,» or «four thousand students,» you will want to transfer them using the pretext of, and do not need: five hundred workers, and four thousand students. A similar combination — my four sisters, your ten articles, three of his colleagues — just need an excuse of the translation: four of my sisters, ten of your articles, three of his collegues.
- If you meet the phrase «thirty-one affair» or «sixty one week», decide that the translation into English of the word «novel» and «Week» in such terms will be in the singular. And here and there. They will be transferred to a plural noun: thirty-one novels and sixty-one weeks.
- Cardinal number in English to denote page numbers, chapters, parts of books, classrooms and homes. The same rule apply and the year (expressed as the date of ordinal numbers).
As we can see, nothing complicated. This topic is closely related to the other as described in the articles that need to pay attention:
- «The numerals in the English language»
- «Ordinal numbers in English»
- «Dates and ordinal numbers in English»
- «Fractional numerals in the English language»
After reading them, we recommend to pass the following test: «The test for the use of numerals in the English language.»