How did this volatile world! What once seemed almost a luxury, now available to everyone. When I started to study English (13 years ago), a special selection of materials was not. We could rely on the material of Russian publications, and foreign books (for example, publication Oxford University Press) only received the order a lot of money. Of course, neither of which Internet speech does not go, because then he was just beginning to come into our lives. We are still using a paper dictionary and audio cassettes. This has its advantages, and we are not puzzled over the choice of what course to take for the lessons.
Now the situation is completely the opposite. You can find and purchase teaching materials of almost any English-language publishers, as well as use of electronic versions of publications. Listen to audio materials and video clips can be viewed in unlimited quantities at different sites. Any theoretical material have Internet resources devoted to the study of English. I’m not talking about online electronic dictionaries and translators.
This material availability, as well as a wide range of help to make the process of learning English fun and interesting. But the question arises — how not to get lost in all this variety of resources? After tens of thousands of them … And you can like a large number of sites, but we must understand that it is impossible to grasp the immensity. How to choose the sites that will be most helpful in learning the English language? It is in this, and we’ll investigate.
Share resources are brought in to help us:
Learn grammar and work
The theoretical basis of English grammar can be found in any of the series is devoted to the working out of this material. But what to do with the practice? After all, only by doing plenty of exercise, you can be sure that a particular rule is firmly lodged in his head. This will help us to sites with online exercises, which can be checked immediately after execution. For example, these resources:
- English-test.net — grammar exercises — it’s not the only material of this website. You are also given exercises for practicing vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and others.
- Tolearnenglish.com — in addition to the huge database of exercises (over 10 000), the resource has the theoretical information on grammar, presented in the form of lessons on a given topic.
- Grammar-quizzes.com — a lot of tests on various grammatical aspects of the training, plus punctuation.
- Englishgrammarsecrets.com — each grammatical aspect represented by this resource, there is little theoretical basis. I really like the exercise of this site, as they are presented in a format swf (flash), and execute them very interesting and not boring.
- Autoenglish.org — before performing a particular exercise, you can check out the theory presented immediately, or watch a video that explains this grammatical rule. Assignments can be made online or in writing, download and print the required exercise.
- Englisch-hilfen.de — large database of interesting and diverse on-line exercises.
Where would you meet an unknown word, you are definitely looking for a translation in a bilingual dictionary. And what if the translation, for example, from Russian to English Dictionary offers several options to choose? On what to stop? How do I know what kind of word to be used in this context? Help English-English dictionary in which words are interpreted and options for use. I really like these dictionaries like Oxford Dictionaries — oxforddictionaries.com, Dictionary of Contemporary English — ldoceonline.com, Cambridge Dictionary Online — dictionary.cambridge.org and The Free Dictionary — thefreedictionary.com.
If you have a good working visual memory, use the Picture Dictionary (picture dictionaries) to expand your vocabulary. That’s interesting resources:
- Languageguide.org — thesaurus in pictures with sound of each word.
- Learningchocolate.com — a lot of those words sounded. Moreover, you are asked to perform several different types of exercises after learning of a group of words.
- Learnenglish.de — thematic dictionary with definitions of words in the form of animated images.
Interested business lexicon? Become a frequent visitor to the website and learn videovocab.tv words browsing videos on different subjects in the field of business relations.
To work out the correct pronunciation
Excellent exercise for practicing literacy pronunciation of sounds in English are located on site learners-dictionary.com. If you are in doubt about the pronunciation of an English word, you can listen to its sound on the already above-mentioned resource dictionary.cambridge.org or website Macmillan Dictionary. And, of course, do not go around the side of the section «Pronunciation tips» Site BBClearningenglish.
Coaching perception skills of English listening comprehension
By studying English for a long time, many note that the English perceive it by ear is almost as difficult as in the beginning, when you are acquainted with the language. It is this skill, as well as speaking, developing the latter, since it depends on many factors, among which the rich vocabulary and possession of grammar, knowledge of phonetic features of the language and coherent speech in particular familiarity with idiomatic aspect of language, and so on. D. Therefore, I recommend as often as possible to listen more and the English language to gradually get used to it. But you can not just listen to it, but also work with audio. How? Choose podcasts! They can be run on both sites, and is a computer, download and upload to any of the media devices that you use.
- Eslpod.com — love this resource update which takes place once in two days. The authors of a new podcast is loaded, which can be one of the existing partitions (entertainment, health & medicine, business, daily life, relationships, and so on. D.). The podcast consists of the following parts: the voiced dialogue at a slow pace, the explanation of all the difficult moments and unfamiliar words in the English language, voiced dialogue in the pace of normal speech. The text of each podcast attached. However, to fulfill every podcast can be even better, received a 12-page material with exercises and additional information. But such a possibility are only those who have paid their membership in the club of listeners eslpod.
- Podcastsinenglish.com — wonderful podcasts with exercises are divided by level of knowledge of the English language.
- Podomatic.com — podcasts on all sorts of subjects.
- Dailystep.com — different levels of complexity podcasts detailed analysis of all the nuances of the language.
- Els-lab.com — a large selection of audio to train listening. Each entry is provided with a test that checks how you have understood correctly auditioned material and exercises on the testing of new words presented in the dialogue.
- Englishlearner.ru — videos for training skills of perception of English listening comprehension.
- Fonetiks.org — very useful site for development of not only listening comprehension, and spelling. And this is achieved by listening to and recording of dictations, which are presented on this site. Choose your level and exercise!
Learn the language!
All these resources have been very fleshed out, aimed at the practice of certain skills. Here I suggest you a list of not less interesting sites that are devoted to the study of language in general. So, to them you will find a lot of material on various aspects of English, whether the lessons of grammar, dictionary entries, audio, and video and many other useful material. For example:
- Engvid.com — free English lessons in English. These lessons lasting 10-20 minutes native speakers talk about grammar rules, synonymous, idioms and slang, the most commonly used vocabulary and so on. D.
- Usingenglish.com — articles and tests materials for English learners and teachers of English forum. The resource is updated constantly.
- Learnenglish.de — resource mentioned above. Games in English, dictations, pronunciation, English lessons, English for teachers — is only part of the useful section of the site.
- Ego4u.com and correctenglish.ru — two sites with an extensive menu, sections of which will satisfy the most demanding student!
Take the time and read the materials presented on these resources. Learn English with pleasure!